Dixie State University Invites You to Homecoming Week 2018
By Chase Hansen
With fall semester in full swing, Dixie State University (DSU) invites community and alumni to campus to celebrate its rich traditions and spirit during homecoming week, October 29th–November 3rd, 2018. Please plan on joining us at the following events:
- Sunday, October 28th, look to the Black Hill as the iconic D is arrayed in red, signifying the arrival of homecoming week.
- Monday, October 29th, features a classic car show and trunk-or-treat from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at Innovation Plaza, across the street from the alumni house. Enjoy free food and cast votes for your favorite car. Don’t be afraid to wear your Halloween costume!
- Tuesday, October 30th, offers the annual Miss Dixie State University pageant, a precursor to the Miss Utah and Miss America pageants. Starting time is 7:30 p.m. in the Cox Performing Arts Center. Admission is $10. Come and cheer for your favorite contestants.
- Thursday, November 1st, show your true dedication to the Dixie Spirit at the annual Moonlight 5K. The real challenge of the night is beating DSU president and avid runner, Richard “Biff” Williams, across the finish line. Held at Trailblazer Stadium at 9:00 p.m., participants can register online at dixie.edu/5k.
- Friday, November 2nd, enjoy the homecoming assembly in the Eccles concert hall at 10:00 a.m. Themed “Dixie—Then and Now,” the assembly will highlight past alumni and current students. The Class of ‘68 will be honored for their 50 years as alumni.
Following the assembly, the Class of ’68 Golden Generation Luncheon and Induction Ceremony will be held at noon. Alumni from earlier graduating classes that have already been inducted are invited to attend.
Friday’s alumni celebratory events climax with the cornerstone alumni banquet at 6:00 p.m. in the Gardner ballroom. Be sure to purchase your tickets online by visiting dixie.edu/banquet or call the alumni association for tickets at 435-652-7535.
Wrapping up Friday’s festivities is one of the most enjoyable and well-attended events of homecoming week: DSU’s free drive-in movie. Enjoy a family-friendly movie and indulge in the city’s most popular food trucks. Look for the movie’s location on the homecoming week schedule posted online (dixie.edu/homecoming). The drive-in movie will start at 8:00 p.m. Spots fill up fast, so plan ahead.
- Saturday, November 3rd, is the most anticipated day of homecoming week. The annual homecoming parade starts at 10:00 a.m. With an average of 100 parade entrants and approximately 3,000 spectators, the parade is one of St. George’s most attended community events of the year.
Afterward, enjoy free hot dogs, treats, and games (or bring your own food) at the weekly tailgate party at 11:00 a.m. at the alumni house.
This all leads up to the Trailblazer football kickoff at 1:00 p.m. in Trailblazer Stadium. With the new turf, track, and visitor’s grandstand, there is a noticeable difference in the atmosphere of the games. For $9, come support the Trailblazers as they look to build on two seasons of success when they take on Colorado School of Mines.
Finally, for alumni who graduated between 1975 and 1985, end the week right at the reunion dinner at 6:00 p.m. in the Zion Room on the fifth floor of the Holland Centennial Commons.
We look forward to seeing you at all of these exciting events and hope that you will recall old memories and enjoy the cherished traditions of DSU during this year’s homecoming week.
For a complete schedule and additional information about Dixie State University’s homecoming week activities and events, visit dixie.edu/homecoming or call the alumni association at 435-652-7535.